Storm Jorge flooding: ‘Critical incident’ declared after flooding

Storm Jorge flooding: 'Critical incident' declared after flooding


Image copyright
Met Office

Image caption

A new weather warning comes into force on Saturday and will last for 24 hours

Police declared a “critical incident” overnight in part of south Wales due to heavy rain brought by Storm Jorge.

No evacuations were needed but the move allowed emergency services to be prepared in case of flooding around Cardiff and Pontypridd.

South Wales Fire and Rescue Service took 72 calls overnight in the 12 hours to 06:00 GMT but now expect water levels to drop.

Wales is braced for further wind and rain on Saturday.

South Wales Police said Ely Bridge on Cowbridge Road was closed for two hours overnight due to the high river.

Supt Andy Kingdom said: “There is still significant surface water and debris on the roads throughout the force area so we would advise people only to travel if absolutely necessary.”

Jason Evans, from South Wales Fire and Rescue Service, added: “Luckily the weather was on our side and we didn’t need to evacuate properties in these areas.”

He said over the last few days some people have had to be rescued from their cars after attempting to drive through flood water.

A Met Office weather warning for rain expired at 06:00 GMT, but a wind warning has been issued from noon.

There are 13 flood warnings in place, mostly around south east Wales and more than 40 flood alerts.

Image copyright
Hannah Sterritt

Image caption

Passengers at Cardiff Central station were left stranded by the travel disruption on Friday

Treherbert, Rhondda Cynon Taff, was the wettest place in the UK on Friday with 56mm (2.2in) of rainfall.

The poor weather from Storm Jorge comes after flooding caused by storms Ciara and Dennis earlier in February.

The wind warning, which covers most of the UK, is in place for 24 hours from 12:00 on Saturday until 12:00 on Sunday.

On Friday, passengers faced travel problems as railway lines flooded in south Wales and it is set to continue on Saturday.

Transport for Wales (TFW) said lines remain closed between Bridgend and Cardiff, while a number of services have been affected on the Valley lines.

Buses will replace services between Shrewsbury and Machynlleth and there will be fewer trains running between Abergavenny and Hereford.

But Bethan Jelfs from TFW said sourcing buses for other routes was proving difficult.

Image copyright
Peterston-super-Ely Village/Facebook

Image caption

Roads, such as this one at Peterston-super-Ely, Vale of Glamorgan, were badly affected by flooding

She added: “Operators are finding it difficult to run their buses. We are trying our hardest but with road conditions we are really struggling to find any replacement transport.”

In north Wales, Llandudno Junction to Blaenau Ffestiniog remains closed following damaged caused by Storm Ciara.

People have been warned about further flooding, with multiple alerts and warnings in place on Friday night.

Jeremy Parr, head of flood incident risk management for Natural Resources Wales, said: “Coming so soon after Storm Dennis, we are particularly concerned that the forecast is for significant levels of rain in south Wales.

“Everyone should take the warnings extremely seriously.”

Image copyright
Network Rail

Image caption

Flooding at Llanharan closed the main rail line between Cardiff and Bridgend

He said people should take extreme caution and never drive or walk through flood waters.

Unprecedented flooding following storms Ciara and Dennis led to communities across Wales being evacuated, with many still calculating the cost of damage to homes and businesses.

First Minister Mark Drakeford has said the cost of the flood damage in Wales could reach at least £180m.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

COVID-19 Live Statistics

Corona Virus Worldwide Live Statistic.

%d bloggers like this: